Greetings Guest!  / Create an account
Guest Join UsHi Guest,
Welcome. Join our awesome Warwick Aero Modellers (WAM) community where you can discuss various topics :-
Flying (Radio Controlled Models)
Fellowship
Fun
Events
Competitions
Much More . . . or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
"SPAD" Simple Plastic Aircraft Design
What size sheets ?
MAKING MODELS IS MEDICINE FOR THE MIND  Smile
Just tried using my jigsaw to cut out my fuselage. Makes things a bit furry at times, but way way quicker than using a blade. Cut the curves accurately, unlike a blade...
I tried various teeth, even a blade designed for cutting tiles. They all leave fuzzy bits. A bit of time spent with a blade gets rid of most of it, but I'm wondering if it is worth the effort. Leaving them there may add to the 'fillet' that we all want on the joints.

I was worried that the scaled up cuts for the tail to slot in to would be too tight or loose seeing as I'm using 5mm for those. Fits perfectly so far.

Anyway, I'm off to hide all the evidence of what I've been up to today, as the boss is on her way home...
 [Image: SaitoFS82b.jpg]Everyone knows that REAL ENGINES are used by REAL men. Eklectic motors are best left for use in toothbrushes and other unnecessary things.
Yeah does leave a fuzzy bit but makes cutting a lot easier... did you try a hacksaw style blade in the jigsaw ? .. are you using 3mm for the wings Marcel? .... Jason has a battery powered jigsaw so if i make a bench we could use it at the Taj Mahal (new clubhouse). Peter T was asking where else to buy Corflute..... heres a link where you can get 2mm and upwards for a good price..i think it is situated in Rocklea. https://www.protectivefilm.com.au/floor-...c-2440-122 also 1200x900 white 3mm corflute available at Bunnings ...might have to get it in to the Warwick store.... i noticed there is also this doubled walled tunnelcore available in big sheets at Bunnings...not sure how it differs from normal black 2.5 corflute......... https://www.bunnings.com.au/tunnelcore-2...d_p0390221
I did try a hacksaw type blade. It didn't make a huge difference in the corners. Something midway seemed to be reasonably clean on the straights and ok on the corners. I'll get Catherine to keep an eye out for a student desk or something, as that would be the right size for what were doing (upside-down jigsaw). If Jason's flattery gets bat, it wouldn't be a hassle to use a generator and an extension lead.
I'm using 3mm for the wings and 5 for bits that wanted 4mm. The slight upsize, I thought, would allow for the greater span and distance between formers and the like.

Did any building take place at the Taj today? ...did anyone get bogged today at the Taj??
 [Image: SaitoFS82b.jpg]Everyone knows that REAL ENGINES are used by REAL men. Eklectic motors are best left for use in toothbrushes and other unnecessary things.
I was in Rocklea last week, could have picked up some coreflute, should be going back down this week if anyone wants some core flute. What size(mm) & what type, would be handy? Industrial, protection or premium.
Cheers.
Angel
(16-12-2018, 08:25 PM)gbar7217 Wrote: I was in Rocklea last week, could have picked up some coreflute, should be going back down this week if anyone wants some core flute. What size(mm) & what type, would be handy? Industrial, protection or premium.
Cheers.

...a type suitable for making model aircraft perhaps?  Tongue
I will attempt to make a simple jigsaw bench this week....I will just need to get Jason to bring his Battery powered Jigsaw down so I can size it up...so if you are reading this Jason and it suits .. please ring or PM me.
Photo 
Ahhh... beat you to it...

All mine is is a bit of bench off-cut with a hole drilled in the middle. Jigsaw is clamped onto the bottom with two screwed bits of wood. I'm using a 240 volt one, as it's going to be awkward reaching under to switch it on and off. Pulling the plug works...

It makes short work of corflute, in a straight line. Tends to burn a bit on sharper bends, but I was going too slow and carefully. That and the practice bends were too tight. Coops was very impressed with my new invention. Lucky for me he can't read this forum yet, so I claimed all the credit for the idea of course...

Attached Files Image(s)

(17-12-2018, 01:48 PM)Celwin Wrote: Ahhh... beat you to it...

All mine is is a bit of bench off-cut with a hole drilled in the middle. Jigsaw is clamped onto the bottom with two screwed bits of wood. I'm using a 240 volt one, as it's going to be awkward reaching under to switch it on and off. Pulling the plug works...

It makes short work of corflute, in a straight line. Tends to burn a bit on sharper bends, but I was going too slow and carefully. That and the practice bends were too tight. Coops was very impressed with my new invention. Lucky for me he can't read this forum yet, so I claimed all the credit for the idea of course...

Why is your daughter wearing a life vest in the shed, have you been fixing the plumbing around the house again marcel??
Angel
Lol... I announced in the morning that we'd be taking our new (old and scruffy, but new to us) canoe out to explore the river that afternoon. The jacket was found and donned immediately in anticipation and not removed until we discovered that seatbelts on car seats don't adjust enough to allow for life jackets. That was about 5 hours after this photo was taken... very strong-willed that one... kind of like someone she's related to...

Just had a break-through with the jigsaw bench. I ground off the edges of a blade to make it resemble a serrated knife in an effort to reduce the amount of fluffy edges on the outside of radius cuts. Works a treat! Much less fluffy bits to slice off later. Possibly clean enough to not worry at all about!