Greetings Guest!  / Create an account
Guest Join UsHi Guest,
Welcome. Join our awesome Warwick Aero Modellers (WAM) community where you can discuss various topics :-
Flying (Radio Controlled Models)
Fellowship
Fun
Events
Competitions
Much More . . . or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
General Announcements
The Stanthorpe site is all but gone really. Warwick has a magnificant airfield and facilities and most of the members don't really wish to fly at Stanthorpe due to the lack of maintenance.
When you think about it, its only 35minutes to Warwick, I have been speaking to various members of city clubs and to drive for 45mins to 1/15 hrs to get to their clubs is the norm. When I mention that members complain that a 1/2 hr drive is really pushing the boundary's for a fly they just laugh!!
Angel
The other flying fields that travel excessively do not have an option of another site at the other end of the shire , there would not be another flying club that have the advantage of alternative fields like we have,( and would be envious) I am aware of the reluctance of the Warwick members to travel this far but it is a good option if the prime site was ever compromised Cheers
Good and valid points Dando. The biggest problem that I can see is finding someone keen enough to maintain it if they don't fly there often. I know that if I were a Stanthorpe member, I'd be miffed if I was the one mowing it and flying there on my own because the Warwickians preferred to fly at their field. Since Mick hung up his transmitter (which was Jim's main reason to fly also) and Nick doesn't fly much anymore, the Stanthorpe field has been left to grow long grass. They used to mow it prior to flying. It does sound like someone is using/mowing it though. It's a bit hard to schedule a fly day there when we have such awesome facilities here now. We used to fly there frequently when we were at the drag club, due to events there and at the polocrosse field and also because nearly 1/4 of our members came from there (from memory).
You're right about other clubs being envious of our proximity to several fields/flying sites. They have to travel because they have to, due to urban sprawl. We are very lucky there.
A club in the Latrobe Valley (Victoria) had 4 or 5 sites that they maintained/claimed, spread over an hour or so drive apart. This included a gliding paddock, slope site, edge of a lake with a strip on its edge and standard fields. Some of this was inherited when smaller clubs merged, but they still had scheduled events at most of them. Large membership numbers due to dense population areas helped and many members only flew and maintained their nearest field and never saw the other fields or members.
I had a key to the Stanthorpe field's gate at one stage and flew discus launch and winch gliders after school during Summer, but had to give it back because I wasn't a local member.

From my knowledge, the only time Barclay Field would be compromised is during major polocrosse events such as next year. I predict that during that event, most of our members will be busy feeding the campers using our field and won't feel like driving to Stanthorpe after an early start each morning for 10 days. Apart from that event, there is not usually more than 1 or two events there, so the pressure to have alternative fields has reduced significantly.

If you were to maintain it (like you were doing a few years ago), that would be awesome, but I'd feel bad for you every time an event was scheduled but ended up being poorly attended.
 [Image: SaitoFS82b.jpg]Everyone knows that REAL ENGINES are used by REAL men. Eklectic motors are best left for use in toothbrushes and other unnecessary things.
Celwin well written comments I would advise against notifying the racing club that we do not use the site as that would compromise the people that do use it, also Celwin at the time a key was issued to you the executive committee felt the extra keys that racing club did not approve would compromise our use of the field, now that the few remaining club members that do not use the field should hand them back for a re issue to you (if you so desire to have one now) Cheers

Oh I forgot does the pilot barrier need to go back or do we need a new one? cheers
I agree Dando. Asking to use it again in the future may be harder than saying nothing at all right now.

I forgot that that was the reason for the key return. I'm not worried though, as I'm a lot busier after school now.

I could return the barrier next year once school returns if that what is needed, unless you're in town with a trailer anyway Dando. I think it should be returned, as it looks out of place here. We want everything to match. 'Image is everything' after all. Apart from the storage shed, everything is going to be symmetrical shortly (apart from the vicious but invisible dividing line through the middle of the clubhouse, dividing members who fly toys and members who fly models with REAL ENGINES!). Sorry... couldn't resist that one...
 [Image: SaitoFS82b.jpg]Everyone knows that REAL ENGINES are used by REAL men. Eklectic motors are best left for use in toothbrushes and other unnecessary things.
I think once the members start using the covered pit area, the members who fly mode 1 will use the pit area closest to the machinery shed, mode 2 (the dark side) will congregate around the other pit area and long for friendship.
Angel
Thats easily done. If some members want the flight box back in Sthpe, Tis no trouble putting it back. Just say at next meeting in feb or b4. I will check it over Christmas, and possibly have a fly there anyway.

Its would be better 2 leave the Sthpe field as it is. If people want 2, its there, if u dont want 2, then dont fly there.
First of all, I think we need to find out if anyone is wanting to fly at the Stanthorpe Field. 
Please come forward and say so, then the flight box will be returned immediately.
HAVE A HAPPY XMAS AND MERRY THANKS FOR THE COOKING ON SUNDAY.. ?
MAKING MODELS IS MEDICINE FOR THE MIND  Smile
(20-12-2018, 06:45 PM)gbar7217 Wrote: I think once the members start using the covered pit area, the members who fly mode 1 will use the pit area closest to the machinery shed, mode 2 (the dark side) will congregate around the other pit area and long for friendship.

As the mode 1 flyers are more important, they should be the first to have grass laid in front of the pits. 
And banana lounges to lay on between flights.
And perhaps during summer, a serf to gently fan the resting pilot with a palm branch. 

Mode 2 flyers will have to fan each other with a gum leaf if they can find one.