Greetings Guest!  / Create an account
Guest Join UsHi Guest,
Welcome. Join our awesome Warwick Aero Modellers (WAM) community where you can discuss various topics :-
Flying (Radio Controlled Models)
Fellowship
Fun
Events
Competitions
Much More . . . or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
General Announcements
(12-01-2019, 09:07 PM)Merryb Wrote: BUNNINGS BBQ  on 26th January.

Now that we have a Clubhouse, we need to raise money to for the interior.
8.30am - 12.30pm  John Lamb,  Patch,  Jo .,  .............

12.30pm - 4.30pm  ...........,   .............,  ..............,   ...............

It would be wonderful to see some different names on the roster this time   Smile
I found the problem with my throttle being stuck wide open on my Wot 4 yesterday evening. The throttle servo had failed. Not jammed or stripped, just stopped moving. I've had this happen on various models now with several brands of servo. This servo was a PowerHD mini which I purchased for my scratch build glider (but never finished). The other servo was a Tower Pro digital on my 30cc model, which I bought off Mick. Both servos came from Wolf Models and both were on the throttle. I can't remember the other time or what it was on, but they just stop working. No hits or anything, just stop for some reason.
I don't know what I'm going to put in my Scanner now, as I'm scared to put something cheap in for fear of losing it from a failure. I've had Coronas in my stick which did a heap of hours, but the cases broke when I accidentally fitted the grommets in the wrong way around when I was assembling it (first time I'd used servos that weren't Hitec), as I'd never come across this so didn't look as I installed them. They worked for many years with only 2 and 3 screws holding them in however.

I was quite surprised at how long a tank of fuel lasted for at full throttle. My biggest concern was running out of fuel at full throttle. The Saito 82 has a hardened aluminium cylinder instead of a separate brass liner, so I was hoping that a lean run on the last of the tank at full noise may damage it. It still had heaps of compression once it got down, so it might be ok. It did make a bit of a racket as it stopped though...
 [Image: SaitoFS82b.jpg]Everyone knows that REAL ENGINES are used by REAL men. Eklectic motors are best left for use in toothbrushes and other unnecessary things.
Would it be worthwhile pulling the servo apart to see if its stripped cogs or whether its possibly electrical. Nothing lost as its now a candidate for the bin.
The spline in it doesn't turn under power and there's no humming or anything coming from it. You can always hear the motor running even if the arm isn't. You can also feel the crunching or skipping when it's a stripped gear. The electronics in them are so tiny, I'd have no idea what to look for in an electrical fault.
 [Image: SaitoFS82b.jpg]Everyone knows that REAL ENGINES are used by REAL men. Eklectic motors are best left for use in toothbrushes and other unnecessary things.
Like you i would only be looking for something obvious. If i couldnt turn the servo arm by hand id suspect a meshed cog or gear. Read an unverified comment recently where some of the cheaper servos advertised as metal geared have only one metal gear the rest of the internals being nylon. So not a lie but a rubbery truth
Hi guys. anyone interested in buying a Scanner. (4 Scanner racing) Our President and some guys went to Twba to c the Scanner racing. The upshot was that Dennis has ordered 10 scanners. There is only 4 left to be sold @ $195 each. Anyone interested to contact Dennis asap, should be here by the end of next week. Apparently the RRP is $230? We have a mode 2 flyer who states unequivocally he doesn't want one, so he can use the stop watch. For any other mode 2 flyer who thinks he can cut the mustard, we have a special price for you at $210, (thats for a mode 2 scanner) and again contact Dennis asap. I dont think they wil last long myself, so hop in and get one. Give Dennis a yell, and raid the piggy bank.
Just found out, anyone interested, send/give ur money to Dennis by next wednesday at the latest. He thinks he could be picking them up wed or thursday?
I've already paid my deposit on one at Wings Over the Downs. It's going to cost me $229 though... Drats... Maybe I accidentally ordered the mode 3 one, which may account for the extra $19 over the mode 2 one.

Maybe the reason my Edge 540 crashed a month or so back was because it was a mode 3 or 4 model. That makes sense, as the ailerons didn't work at all from the moment I started the engine to the moment of impact. Maybe failing to plug the servo leads in was purely coincidental! So... not my fault at all!! Prior to that, it was pure fluke that it flew perfectly using my mode 1 transmitter!

Wow Peter T, you've opened up my mind to all of the reasons for my prior incidents! I was never at fault for any of them!!
Except for the demise of my green ugly stick. That was due to DaveDamage. Dave's fault for making me compete in pylon racing...
I think it is great to see the enthusiasm for the proposed Scanner Racing. (Genuine comment for all you doubting Thomas's) It seems that the model purchase is well in hand. That done perhaps the competition needs an organizer now so that all facets of the program progress uniformly. Someone who is part of the competition would be ideal. Someone to ensure everyone is on track with their Scanner build and fit out. Someone to decide what rules, course layout and the manner it will be judged and points awarded. I would like to nominate PeterT. He fits all the criteria and he has been instrumental in getting started the groundswell of Scannermania. Being part of the program gives him the best insight. All hail PeterT. Scannermania Coordinator
(22-01-2019, 07:53 AM)DaveW Wrote: I think it is great to see the enthusiasm for the proposed Scanner Racing. (Genuine comment for all you doubting Thomas's) It seems that the model purchase is well in hand. That done perhaps the competition needs an organizer now so that all facets of the program progress uniformly. Someone who is part of the competition would be ideal. Someone to ensure everyone is on track with their Scanner build and fit out. Someone to decide what rules, course layout and the manner it will be judged and points awarded. I would like to nominate PeterT. He fits all the criteria and he has been instrumental in getting started the groundswell of Scannermania. Being part of the program gives him the best insight. All hail PeterT. Scannermania Coordinator

Hi Dave, 
I must agree with you about Peter T being the Scannermania Coordinator, Peter would be the most qualified to run such an event with the help of the former Pylon Racing coordinator ( forgotten the guys name). For this to succeed we need members who are willing to travel to other clubs and compete, staying at Barclay field and flying on occasions will see the scanner racing fall away to nothing in a very short space of time. It will also encourage other clubs to visit WAM for competitions, saying that, any form of prize money would only encourage flyers to hot up their planes.
Angel