Greetings Guest!  / Create an account
Guest Join UsHi Guest,
Welcome. Join our awesome Warwick Aero Modellers (WAM) community where you can discuss various topics :-
Flying (Radio Controlled Models)
Fellowship
Fun
Events
Competitions
Much More . . . or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
General Announcements
(22-09-2020, 10:15 PM)Celwin Wrote: Brian, your words about buddying up just reminded me of something that the committee discussed last year when Greg found himself with more students than he could manage, which was mentoring new members. An experienced member would be asked to make regular contact with the new member helping them with things, but not necessarily training them.

The simulator has been used, but the special lead that the club owes has been lost while it was being lent to new and potential members to take home to practice with. That makes it hard to simply fire up now, as we need to borrow a lead from someone who has a Phoenix sim and that is usually Greg.
Simulators are good, but not like the real thing. One of my sons can fly forever on a sim and make good landings, but we are yet to see if he can do it for real. It really does pay for itself giving a student confidence though and making them feel like they're not wasting the instructor's valuable time.

The intention of training days (not a whole day, 3 or 4 hours at most) wasn't to take away access to the field, but to take away distractions for those who need that as much as possible.
In the case of those who have very narrow windows of opportunity to fly, like myself and a few others, the gentlemanly thing for the instructor to do would be to let me slot in.

Using the simulator has its merits, determining if you are mode 1 or 2, practice take offs and landings. The computer needs to be upgraded atm and a newer operating system. Finding a cable for computer to transmitter has been a bit allusive, plenty of people selling entire kit for $100 or more. Maybe when the club is more financial!!
Angel
Marcel,first i think you should reread my column,and give it the credit to which it deserves. The very issues you are putting forward in your column, this is designed to overcome. Mentoring, is part of any club activity..... Some flexabillity in ones thinking is to benefit the majority of members.
Next issue ....buddy lead, I have a lead and tranny I hope will suit the purpose, that I will donate to WAM for use at the club only.
No one is suggesting that a simulator is as good as the real thing otherwise everyone would stay home and fly!! As in this instant it could help free up the flight line .The final point is,regarding distraction is as I have indicated, the unfinished room at the end of the amenities block would serve admirably to house the simulator(s) and providing a degree of noise reduction and privacy for the nervous. Brian C.
You are right in what you said in your comment Brian. I wasn't shooting it down and I apologise if that's what my reply sounds like. The mentoring I mentioned was to keep a new member in contact with us so they don't feel left out and to help them through potentially frustrating things like sorting a transmitter.

The distraction I was talking about is when they're at the pilot's box with other planes doing touch and go's or low fly-bys. That makes them nervous.

Thanks for trying to sort the simulator cable problem Brian.
 [Image: SaitoFS82b.jpg]Everyone knows that REAL ENGINES are used by REAL men. Eklectic motors are best left for use in toothbrushes and other unnecessary things.
Marcel,the lead in question did not work,wrong type. Solution; how about we pass the hat around for donations and then the club make up the short fall....for a new cable.Problem solved.

As for Mentoring.
Many years ago , I was a member of the Newcastle Pistol Club. Their club rules dictated that each new member was on probation for three months....and that each new member was assigned a "GOD FATHER" for that probationary period. During that time the two individuals worked out when to meet for tuition. (mentor --Trainee) It`s probably still the same today. Problem solved.

From memory the number of persons in the flight enclosure was restricted ...while flying was in progress. This rule should be revisited and people kept to the minimum. Problem partly solved.

What I meant about the simulator was that the group could split up into two lots ....half on the sim
the other half waiting to fly. Simple.

Brian C
C`mon guy`s, the silence is deafening.
How did our sausage sizzle go today?

Went for a fly yesterday afternoon. I dragged a couple of orange bollard thingies towards the fences, to be orientation markers for helping with landing approaches. The one down the southern end looks ok, but I'm wondering if a white one would have stood out better. The one down the northern end, well it's down there but you can't see it. It looked ok when I put it there because I could see the pilot's box, but from the pilot's box you can't see it. Orange that low to the grass (and curve of the surface) made it a futile attempt... I was too thirsty and pooped to go back and shift it again.
I'm wondering if we could make a stack somehow, to be a better visual reference, as one on it's own doesn't stand out much. It is better than one of those pylon poles at that range though. Have a look and talk about it tomorrow.

It was great to look in the sign-in book yesterday and see so many names for the day. It's great that we're using the field once again.

We have pylon racing on the third Sunday this month. We will have to operate under a COVID-safe plan. We're almost there, just some extra signs needed, such as path in and out of the clubhouse and maximum numbers in certain areas, such as the clubhouse.
I'm going to have to put the following rule in place and ensure that it is enforced. During this COVID thing, only one person is to use the porta-loo at a time. If someone is in there, please wait outside for your turn... It's a social-distancing thing...  Tongue
 [Image: SaitoFS82b.jpg]Everyone knows that REAL ENGINES are used by REAL men. Eklectic motors are best left for use in toothbrushes and other unnecessary things.
Thumbs Up 
Thank you to the members who gave up the day to help run the Bunnings BBQ!! Smile Big Grin Without looking back through the records I think that it was the best amount we have ever made, if not it was very close to it. Jo, who is not even a member, donated her time yet again. Thank you very much.
Greg has changed the combinations on our front gate and clubhouse, as is normally done around this time each year.
Please check your phone and email for the new number.
Thanks Greg.
There's a Saito FA82 on RC trader for $195. Awesome engine. Just ran a FA71 today which I bought 4 or 5 months ago. Needed the bearings replaced, but started first flick. Awesome idle and transition. You have to love the sound and throttle response of a four stroke, especially a Saito.
The 82 is lighter than a 55AX and usable power is on par because you won't run the 55AX at 17K.

Congrats Peter T!
All the best in the land of the long white cloud JR.